The Roman castrum on the small peninsula (400m long, 200 m wide) was built, which today is the nucleus of the old town.
During the rule of Emperor Augustus, the castrum was officially declared a town and a part of the Roman colony of Julia Parentium.
The town had a Christian community and an early Christian church complex, and became an Episcopal centre at the turn of the 3rd and 4th centuries.
The fall of the Roman Empire. Afterwards the town had various different rulers, the first being the Ostrogoths.
The start of Byzantine rule.
Euphrasius’ Basilica was built.
End of the 6th century
The Croats arrived in the Poreč area, and the first long term settlement was built in 620.
The town was under Frankish rule.
A short period of independence, and then it was governed by the Aquileia Patriarchs.
Poreč becomes a part of the Venetian Republic, who ruled it for more than five centuries.
The town was destroyed by the Genovese.
End of the 16th century and beginning of the 17th century
The Black Death came to Poreč and significantly reduced the population.
Second half of the 17th century
The town and surroundings areas are inhabited by settlers from south Dalmatia.
End of the 18th century
With the fall of the Venetian Republic in 1797, Poreč falls under the rule of Napoleon, and becomes a part of the Austro-Hungarian monarchy in 1814.
The first tourist guide about Poreč is printed with a description and pictures of the town.
The centre of the Istrian parliament with schools, administrative and court institutions
The Trieste – Poreč narrow gauge railway line was built, the so called 'Parenzana'.
The first Poreč hotel is built, the Hotel Riviera.
Poreč is under Italian rule, and was badly damaged by bombing in 1944.
10 September 1943
Together with Istria, Poreč becomes a part of Croatia.